Thursday, February 24, 2011

Burning

a. The self burning of Mohamad Bouazizi and "the burning monk" were similar in that both took to radical proportions to let themselves be heard. Both stood strongly for what they believed in, so strongly that they were willing to die. They set themselves alight in the public's plain view, a strong act of defiance and courage. The self burning of each man differed in that both burning took place at different times and in different countries. Both men went to such measures for a different reason. But both men were unafraid.

b. It is both strikingly sad but at the same time awe inspiring learning about the two men who lit themselves alight. It makes me reflect on myself. I've felt so desperate in my lifetime! It was like a hole which one could feel like a heavy rock lying on my heart. We think our emotions are so strong. That it is the end of the world! But never would we go so far as to burn our selves. Both Thích Quảng Đức and Mohamad Bouazizi were strong and courageous. It makes wonder..... How far I'd go for what I believe in? Would take such desperate measures? I can't answer that question with full certainty. To burn ones self is simply....horrifying! Sick! Deranged! .....beautiful?....

c. David Halberstam wrote,"I was to see that sight again, but once was enough. Flames were coming from a human being; his body was slowly withering and shriveling up, his head blackening and charring. In the air was the smell of burning human flesh; human beings burn surprisingly quickly. Behind me I could hear the sobbing of the Vietnamese who were now gathering. I was too shocked to cry, too confused to take notes or ask questions, too bewildered to even think... As he burned he never moved a muscle, never uttered a sound, his outward composure in sharp contrast to the wailing people around him."

d. How far would you go for what you believe in?

No comments:

Post a Comment